Dark coloration of the skin in the underarms region is usually not a disease or medical condition. Dark underarms can be thought of as the skin’s response to exposure to certain elements, similar to a suntan that results from exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
Some of the main causes of dark underarms are shaving, regular use of hair removing creams, excessive sweating, poor ventilation of underarms, accumulation of dead skin cells, and use of alcohol-based deodorants and antiperspirants.
You can easily get rid of dark underarms using simple home remedies that are safe, effective, natural and affordable.
Try a natural bleaching agent.
The acidic, anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties in some vegetables and fruits allow them to lighten the skin naturally. Potatoes, cucumbers and lemons are three that can help eliminate dark skin under the arms.
- Potato – Thinly slice a potato and rub a slice on the dark area. Or, you can grate some of the potato to release the “juice.” Apply this juice to your underarms, let it dry 10 minutes and rinse.
- Cucumber – Just as you did with the potato, you can rub cucumber slices on the affected area or grate some of the cucumber and use the juice. You can go a step further and add a few drops of lemon juice and some turmeric (enough to make a paste) to the cucumber juice. Apply the paste, wait a half hour and wash off.
- Lemon – Rub a thick slice of lemon on the dark area; the fruit will remove dead skin cells and lighten the skin. Follow-up by washing and, if necessary, applying moisturizer. (With continued use, lemons can dry out the skin). Add a small amount of tumeric, plain yogurt or honey to lemon juice to make a paste that can be left on for 10 minutes and then rinsed clean.
- Egg oil – Gently massage egg oil on the dark area and leave on overnight; the omega-3 in egg oil promote re-epithelisation (new skin cells) which make the skin smooth and light. Wash in the morning with a pH balanced soap or body wash.
Baking soda can be used to make an exfoliating scrub to get rid of dark underarms. This will help remove dead skin cells, which is one of the main causes of dark underarms. It will also help unclog skin pores.
- Mix baking soda and water to make a thick paste.
- Use this paste to scrub your underarms.
- Wash it off and pat dry the area thoroughly.
- Repeat a few times a week.
You can also apply a light dusting of equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch to neutralize body odor.
Coconut oil is another good option to get rid of dark underarms. Coconut oil contains vitamin E that can help lighten the underarms. At the same time, it will also work as an effective natural deodorant.
- Massage the dark underarms with coconut oil.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with mild soap and lukewarm water.
- Repeat two or three times daily until you achieve the desired results.
Make a whitening pack.
If you’re willing to commit to a frequent treatment regimen, you can try a natural whitening pack made from gram flour (also known a chickpea flour). Mix the flour with yogurt, lemon and a little turmeric to form a thick paste. Apply and leave in place for at least 30 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Apply this whitening paste daily for two weeks and then three times a week to speed up the whitening effect.
The strong antiperspirant chemicals of deodorants often darken underarms by an inflammatory response. Very few people actually have a problem with body odor and most do not need the widely advertised deodorants.
Orange peels can be used to lighten the skin under your arms, thanks to their skin lightening and exfoliating properties.
- Put some orange peels in the sun for a few days until they dry out completely.
- Grind the dried peels into powder form.
- Mix two teaspoons of powdered orange peels with enough rose water and milk to make a thick paste.
- Gently scrub your underarms with the paste and then leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, wash the area with cold water.
- Repeat the process two or three times a week.